Thursday, September 22, 2011

Can I change a bad diode/diodes in my alternator?

My alternator has at least one bad diode. I need to fix it because it's an expensive high output alternator for a sound system. I need to know where I can get diodes and how to rebuild an alternator. Any info on special tools I might need or other special parts I might want to replace would be nice. Thank You.Can I change a bad diode/diodes in my alternator?yes you can do it and the parts stores can get the diodes for you but you will need a repair manual if you have never done it.Can I change a bad diode/diodes in my alternator?It would be better to change the entire voltage regulator it will be cheaper, The diodes are sealed in the regulator hope this helps.Can I change a bad diode/diodes in my alternator?Most auto parts stores will have a variety of repair kits and manuals that will guide you step by step. Also make sure the bearings/brushes are in good condition, if not replace them too.Can I change a bad diode/diodes in my alternator?First, how do you know its a diode? If you never did this before, take the whole alternator out of the vehicle and go to an auto electric shop and have them rebuild it. By the time you get the tools and skill required to properly diagnose and rebuild a failed alternator, you may find that you damaged the unit during the repair process. Let a pro do it..They do this all day long and know all the tricks. Ive had special units rebuilt for under $100 and it only took one day, besides they have all the parts and tools, you will use these only once or twice in a lifetime unless you plan to make this a business.

Good Luck