Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How do I change the Alternator for my 1997 Dodge Neon?

My brother changed my alternator a few weeks ago, and its already giving me problems, when I took it into the shop, they said it was a dud. I can't get him or anyone else to fix it this time, so I have to do it myself, I just cant figure out how to replace it this time. It has a full lifetime warranty, so I don't want to take it to a shop.How do I change the Alternator for my 1997 Dodge Neon?It's easiest on a hoist but if you can't get to one, jack up the right front and turn wheel all the way to the left.

-disconnect negative cable from battery

-remove right wheel

-remove splash guard

-on top of alternator there is a belt tension adjusting nut, you'll have to loosen the tension on the belt ( this is the hardest part due to the lack of space ) in order to remove the belt

-there is a bracket that holds the alternator ( held by 2 or 3 bolts ), this has to be removed

-with bracket gone, the alternator can come out but the space is very tight...you may have to turn the alternator at different angles to be able to squeeze it past the wheel well area



-