Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I change the alternator for a 1990 Toyota Celica GT 2.2L?

Any help is appreciated. I am a single female so I have to do it myself cause I am also BROKE. So, I am ready.....any advice is so greatly appreciated!!



Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How do I change the alternator for a 1990 Toyota Celica GT 2.2L?A fairly easy repair for a novice. Disconnect the battery cables before you start. Alternator is on your left looking from the front of the car. Driven by the serpentine belt. You need to disconnect the power cable and control harness first. Power cable is on the front. One big brass nut under a plastic cover. The other harness is on the back of the alternator(right hand side, the side away from the pulley) It has a plastic housing you squeeze to disengage and pull. The unit is only held on by two bolts. One on top that is used for adjusting the tension on the belt. It is bolted through a slotted bracket to allow for adjustment. The other one is directly under the pulley on the alternator. This is a long one which the alternator pivots on. You may not be able to see it but if you reach just under the pulley you can feel it. Disconnect the wires, loosen both bolts and remove the belt, finish removing the bolts and yank that baby out.